This film made me cry- more than any other movies in my life. I don't usually cry over movies, at most, just tear. But this film made me weep and reflect for a good half an hour to an hour before I went to bed. The story is true, about an African genocide between 2 tribes in 1994. About 1 million lives were lost. They could have been saved if the UN intervened. But they chose to mind their own businesses. Over their colour.
I realised most of us here are spoilt brats. I confess I am one too. What a brats we are. That we can even complain about the slightest irritation we face. I was so ashamed of myself. Here we are, everything here is so stable and secure, our land so fiercely guarded and taken care of, and we sometimes bite the hand that feeds us. We complain how bad our country is, and compare it to other nations.
I looked out of my window and saw a vast spread of buildings all well lit and maintained with beauitful neon lighting and rows of functioning street lamps. (Well I live on the 25th storey, so I could see part of the landscape of Singapore...) It was a peaceful picture. But will it remain always as peaceful? What if I saw one day the buildings in ruins and on fire? What if one day I saw bombs dropping from circling planes and army tankers invading the quiet of our streets? I mean it could happen. It could. What if one day soldiers came and tore my door down, and because of my identity (chinese/ Singaporean or whatsoever) they start to kill me? Or worse, before killing me, do things that are inhumane to me? Thats a very very scary thought. To die under the hands of people who lost their sense of good and evil. And its true... such things are still happening in the world.
I wept for the world.... how is it possible that man can by his own efforts destroy millions of his own kind without any sympathy or empathy for fellow humans? All the genocides- the Nazis, the Khmer Rouge regime... so sick.. That all of us has this potential to be so evil. To even laugh and humilate another person before killing and toturing them. Its so sick. Mob behaviour- we let our own judgement be overrun by mob behaviour.
And here we are complaining about everything under the sun, how horrid our lives are, how we cannot take the stress of our BGRs, studies, friendships... I'm guilty of it too... bloody damn guilty of it. I complain to God about my family, I sometimes wonder why am I put through all the miseries I face and yet I don't even realise what a blooody lucky bastard I am. To even have a secure family with income, to have a degree secured in my future, to be so educated, to have the luxury to spend my money on holidays and on items which I don't really need. And I complain. How many people in the world can live as comfortably as me? Right now there are even people living in the slumps in the Smoky Mountains in Phillipines, there are houses yet to be rebuilt, lives yet to get back from all the natural disasters and I am here complaining of some shit. That a little disappointment, trial I face in my life and I feel like dying. Tsk tsk...
Repeat after me you spoilt Singaporean brats: I am a spoilt brat and I am not fit to whine.