Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do Singaporeans have a culture?



I remember in the late 1990s, or was it early 2000, there was this question posted nation wide- Is there a Singaporean culture?

Back then, I didn't know the answer. I couldn't really identify what was Singapore culture. But today, I would say, Singaporeans have somewhat a culture that is shared by all the cocktail of Straits living, Malay flavor and Chinese immigrants who came and shaped it.

We have... the Peranakan Culture. I am not Peranakan. My ancestry came straight from China's Swa Tow... (Turtle Mountains I call it :P )


But there are so, so many aspects of Peranakan Culture that I can identify with so much more than my great grandmother land of China.


Thats because I was born and brought up here. So were my parents. My grandparents grew up here.


Let me list some aspects of Singapore that shaped its unique culture:



It was heavily influenced by the colonial masters, therefore giving shape to many westernised buildings and a mix of British and Southeast Asian culture in many things we have:

- Kaya toast with tea and coffee and half cooked eggs, Singapore style

- Hainanese Pork Chop

- Roti John

- Teh-cino

Apart from food, we have:

- Western looking furniture and architecture in places like shop houses. Shop houses are a local construct because of the 5-foot way corridors. But yet the designs are Western. I have a good example:

I remember visiting my great-grandmother's place which looked a little like a shophouse, with all the peranakan- looking designs and wesstern-asian architecture. I remember those teacups and tea saucers and those rustic-looking marble tables and chairs. All brings nostalgia in my heart.

I remember peeling off layer by layer the rainbow coloured kueh (jiu chen gao) and eating it with joy as a toddler. Or even drinking my milo from a tea saucer which used to be the trend.

To me, that is where my culture is, from young. Mama shops, hawker centres, old-school coffee shops, a mish-mash of the different flavors and sights of Singapore, - definitely not sergregated strictly to the CMIO category.

Hello, you old and salty bitch.

Hi, dear beloved blog. Im so glad you are still around. Even the 2000 trends have gone and... come back again. And you, are still here! The ...