Its the first day of lunar new year, and I had a very packed visiting schedule. In between my schedules, I was trying to squeeze in time for some work to do. Just submitted my presentation to my project partner, at 3am in the morning. Deadline is monday 12 nn.
Well, new year, after some time, (like 20 years) gets a little routinized, and boring,if you don't really fit in. My whole family plays mahjong. Parents, uncles, aunties, and even cousins. Younger cousins. Except me and my sister. I was at my cousin's place just now, there were 3 mahjong sessions going on. The uncles, the aunties and the mini-mahjong set for the younger ones. (!?!) And, my dad just made a portable mahjong table out of wood planks 2 days ago. So that he can bring to my granduncle's place tomorrow and have more people playing mahjong!!!!!!
Its a mahjong family, mahjong generation mahjong madness....
My closer cousins who are my age... have stopped spending time with me to play mahjong! Or rather I would say, I have failed to conform to learn mahjong to 'fit in'.
Sigh... but that is just the way I am. I dislike playing games with people. I dislike competition. I dislike losing. I'm one of a kind... haha.
Hmm.. but I do have to say the TV programmes are good. I watched Anna and the King, and some Zhao Wei show on channel U. And I watched "I do I do" on vcd. Hilarious.
I used to get frustrated if I feel bored at people's houses. But now, I self-entertain. Its a sign of being older, more independent and being able to adapt. I had to wait till 2am before the mahjong people finish their game.
Visiting in recent years have been better cos I get to visit friend's places and travel on my own while making these trips. Its fun to observe what people wear on the first day of the New Year. And I also get to see more people in trains who do not celebrate Chinese New Year. Namely, the other races, and foreigners. And of course, it feels good to dress up and be seen in public. :)
Whoopee.... its almost 4am, still have visiting in the morning... and more mahjong after that.