There has been talk among me and my friends and family members about the forum with MM Lee lately... the "why my vote counts" forum. I have not watched it yet, but have seen excerpts of it on TV mobile and heard portions of it on the radio.
Why is there such a forum? Probably to show that Singapore is still a democratic country, and to convince young Singaporeans like me, that the dominant party is good and ought to be voted for. :)
But.... personally.. I think it was quite sad... the forum participants were described as "strong headed" (or something like that) and they were being slammed left, right, under. They were being cut off curtly of their questions and probably left speechless and tamed. Er.. yes... and Singapore is still a democratic counrty. :)
Okay.. in case I get bolted by lightning for making not-so-good remarks about the forum, ultimately, in any case, I still think that the socialist democratic country Singapore, ignoring the extent of democracy we have, is still a GOOD government system. I am comfortably well-off, I get good subsidies for many things, and I do not have to worry about tomorrow, given the CPF, medisave and what ever nots I have prepared ahead for me.
Ideology wise, Singapore is not a good example of a democratic counrty. The people are not politcally active, and we have an over-powering one party system. To the rest of the world, it seems like an authoritarian regime. But, does ideology match reality? How sure am I that the parties that overtake the PAP will do such an efficient job like the present government? Why do you strive for major changes when you are living comfortably in the present system? I am blinded and entrapped in the present system that I cannot seem to see any other system than the present? Maybe.... But what makes me think the same wouldn't happen to the new system?
Ultimately, I think when the time comes where there are larger cracks in the government; when the people's lives are in dire conditions when they are unhappy, then we can see other politcal parties rise up. Its like the ecological system, when things are lopsided, survival of the fittest will ensure there is a fight for a balance...
We signed a social contract to the government in exchange for a decent living, and we got it. So why bother to strive senselessly for some ideology which... till today, have loopholes in it?
Whatever... whatever it is. I'm not 21 yet. I cannot vote. Bahahaha....