Monday, November 26, 2007

I have not blogged about stimulating topics for a long time. My brain, after coming out of NUS, is getting dull. But of course. I don't engage in so much intellectual reading and thinking as before. I only think about lunch, dinner, breakfast, what to do for the day, and bimbotic fashion tips.

There was a period of time where I decided to switch the focus of my blogging to mundane things I do daily, weekly. I was afraid that the thought-stimulating pieces that I pen down might seem somewhat shallow. But I was reading through my archive yesterday and I realized it wasn't too bad. Or maybe my brain is getting more dull. Anything thrills my sloth-like mind. Whatever. Yea.. like…. Wha-ever…(aww my nails… they are gedd'in chipped from typin…)

Haven been getting updated about the news lately. But one issue caught my mind. The Hindu-Indian riots in Malaysia. Man… I never expected history to repeat itself, especially in this increasingly cross-cultural, globalized era. What does it show? It shows that history is not passé. History cannot be forgotten. History is important. So to those who wave off the humanity subjects like history, you obviously don't live in a world with humans and social networks. Yea. Haha.

The grievances of the Indians in Malaysia stem all the way back to the colonial era, where they were marginalized. That's like close to a hundred over years. Not in their lifetime. But the marginalization continues till today, so they claimed. It may be due to stereotyping and categorizing of the Indians since the colonial days till today, by the rest of the state. It may be due to their lack of motivation to move ahead. I don't know. Many people have different view points to this.

But I think grudges can be carried over for generations. Not just for these people, as well as many other places, India and Pakistan, Israel and Palestine… etc. That's why history in politics is very important.

Many of our administrative procedures (like the categorization of race in our ICs) and our legal policies are shaped largely by the British administration during the colonial period.

The way politics and democracy was created in South-East Asia after WWII was very much shaped by cold-war politics, and making hasty allies with the western democratic countries. Some say that is why many SEA countries have pseudo-democracy.

Okay. In conclusion, history is relevant to our issues today. Human nature never gets better. And, violence begets violence. Many more implications to come.

Hello, you old and salty bitch.

Hi, dear beloved blog. Im so glad you are still around. Even the 2000 trends have gone and... come back again. And you, are still here! The ...