Friends. Just a simple term, but man has complicated it till the definition ranges vastly. Good friends, "best" friends, "Hi and bye" friends, boyfriend, girlfriend, boyfriendS, girlfriendS... blah blah blah.... they all mean differently. Having a boyfriend (lover) is vastly opposite as to having a good girl friend. A best friend cannot be compared to a "hi and bye" friend.
But, nevertheless, a friend is still a friend. No matter how close or distant you are to that "friend" of yours, you never want to mean any harm to them, and you would help them as much as it is in your means.
I find it awkward when people ask me:" Is that your close friend?" What am I supposed to say? " She/He's my best/good friend."? I personally don't prefer answering these questions. How do you define a "best" friend? How do you define a "good" friend? I have heard of people saying:" Oh... I would expect my best friend to be this and that.. and to share ALL my secrets.. blah blah blah..." So what happens when through time, through different interests and different occupations, your "best" friend can't really be there for you, can't really understand what you are going through anymore? To some, its devastating. Because of the label "best" or "good" or whatever. With this label comes GREAT expectations. Being a "best" friend is stressful to me. Its like signing a contract with someone. Once I violate some rules, like not acting out what a best friend should be, I get black marked for life. Most probably my other half will feel soo disappointed, even though we both know we are friends and care for each other, just because maybe I failed to understand or commit time to her/him.
So... I would prefer that all my friends, no matter how close or not-so-close they are, to be just: friends. This way, no one will feel left out. Anyone can become close to me overtime, anyone can drift apart from my company anytime. Its unpredictable. And most of the time its beyond my control, due to each and everyone's exposure to different social circles. Unless you are really such a jerk and I don't wish to see you anymore.
The bottomline is, I love all my friends. To those who enjoy being with me, I gladly try as much to give my time to them too. To anyone who needs any help, I will do whatever is in my means. To those who just feel like letting off steam or confiding in someone, I will gladly lend a listening ear. A friend is someone whom I get support from and give I support too. No matter what degree of closeness I have with any friend, just take heart that I care for everyone of them.