Friday, July 22, 2005

Gunning Down Romance

Love and other moments are just chemical reactions in your brain
And feelings of aggression are the absence of the love drug in your veins
In your veins
Love come quickly
Because I feel my self-esteem is caving in
Its on the brink
Love come quickly
Because I don't think I can keep this monster in
Its in my skin

Love and other socially acceptable emotions are morphine
They're morphine
Cleverly concealing primal urges often felt but rarely seen
Rarely seen
Love I beg you
Lift me up into that privileged point of view
The world of two

Love don't leave me
Because I console myself that Hallmark cards are true
I really do

I'm gunning down romance
It never did a thing for me
But heartache and misery
Ain't nothing but a tragedy

Love don't leave me

Take these broken wings
I'm going to take these broken wings
And learn to fly
And learn to fly away
And learn to fly away....

I'm gunning down romance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Written and sang by Savage Garden

Its pretty scary on what we are getting into when we talk about love. In some ways, the lyrics of the song do provide a cynical, but true perspective on love. That depends on what kind of love we are talking about. In this song, I see it as lustful love. "Cleverly concealing primal urges often felt but rarely seen.." Its love derived from sexual instinct from male and female. The song talks about begging love to lift him up into the privileged point of view: the world of two. Furthermore, this song is sung in a drawly, melancholic manner, like a drug addict not getting his dose of drugs.
I used to think this way, be addicted to lustful love ... after college, my hormones were getting the better out of me. I tried to date for all the wrong reasons. Just to get the kick out of dating, just to get the kick out of going after guys because my hormones controlled my mind. Fortunately, I failed in all. Broken, self-esteem caved in, I tried to get more out of it, by thinking about dressing suggestively and going clubbing just to get the kick out of getting attention by guys. Yet again, fortunately, in the nick of time, I did not get the chance to do so.
Feeling confused, deluded by the love drug, God came into my life. He showed me love, true, pure healthy love. His love for me. That is where the other perspective of love comes in. Through prayer, through fellowship with brothers and sisters, I learnt of agape ( unconditional love). True love is patient, kind and does not expect anything back from it. For the first time, I experienced love among my brothers, not in the lustful way, but in a sibling-like manner. This kind of love, for God and people, fills me with overwhelming peace and joy. I'm not trying to say here that non-Christians do not experience such love. But I happened to find such overwhelming emotions when I went into church. It has changed my life. It has changed my perspective.
Like the song, its true I'm gunning down romance. I figured that relationships are meaningless and wrong if they are just for fun, just for the thrill of dating. Because, in the end, like a drug, once the excitements ends, you will crave for it, so much that it aches... for no good reason. Its not healthy for the mind too. I'm 20 this year and have no boyfriends till date. I would fret over this before I knew God; but not anymore. Because God's love is greater than any other things on earth. Because I am loved by God, I do not need to seek assurance and affirmation from guys.
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want...... Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" Psalm 23
So now I leave my dating life into God's hands. I hope that, even as I date, it will never be lustful love. It will be love based on care and concern for each other, it will never be lust of the flesh. God shall be my advisor for life, He will show me my purpose in life, and lustful dating on my part does not fit into it.

Hello, you old and salty bitch.

Hi, dear beloved blog. Im so glad you are still around. Even the 2000 trends have gone and... come back again. And you, are still here! The ...